Why Study in the USA

U.S. higher education institutions are known worldwide for the quality of their programs, faculty, and facilities. As an investment in your child’s future, a U.S. degree or education experience offers excellent value. The U.S. higher education system offers unparalleled choice to international students in the types of institutions, academic and social environments, entry requirements, degree programs, and fields of study that are available. Students can choose from a variety of academic areas, from the humanities to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). U.S. institutions continue to lead in terms of the breadth of academic specializations and research opportunities they offer. National and regional accreditation systems ensure that U.S. institutions maintain high academic standards.


USA Higher education system is typically divided into: Associate degrees Undergraduate (bachelor) degrees Graduate education (master’s and PhDs/doctorates) The U.S. academic calendar typically runs from September to May and can be divided into two academic terms of 16-18 weeks known as semesters. Alternatively, some schools may operate on a quarter or trimester system of multiple terms of 10-12 weeks. With the variety of available U.S. higher education options, students are sure to find the right fit for their academic, financial, and personal needs There is also a very active social life on USA campuses, with many clubs and organisations students can join to meet other students with similar interests and to help further career opportunities.

How much does it cost to study in USA? Studying in USA universities or colleges costs vary between different institutions. Accommodation and living in USA costs depend on your personal lifestyle. Tuition will be the most expensive component of your educational costs. The price of tuition can range from $10,000 to $55,000 (USD) per year. Accommodation in USA will typically range from $3,000 to $8,000 per year. (Tuition and Accommodation fees will depend on your location and University choice, course choice may further impact your tuition fees) Most campuses offer a meal plan for students to allow dining in the on-campus facilities. These plans are offered at many different levels to accommodate individual budgets. Most campuses also require students to pay for medical insurance to allow them to utilize on-campus medical facilities for check-ups, basic testing and prescriptions for common illnesses. This insurance typically costs under $1,000 per year. Other costs to add in your living and studying in USA budget are fees for student activities, which amount to a few hundred dollars per year and reference books, which can cost between $500 and $1,500 per year.

The USA student visa or F-1 visa (Academic Student) allows an individual to enter the United States as a full-time USA student at an accredited college, university or other academic institution. A student must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate and the school must be authorised by the US government to accept international students. Steps for applying for a USA student visa USA student visa application process starts with the receipt of an I-20. The I-20 confirms a student’s acceptance and enrolment at any American university or other educational institution. Pay the SEVIS fee (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) Pay the visa fee at the nominated bank Complete USA student visa application form Book a visa interview appointment Attend your visa interview Your passport is returned to you by courier.

International students in USA can work in a job on campus up to 20 hours a week. Many students find that their time is better spent taking internships or practical training, which allows them to work for university credit in a job in a related field. All USA universities also offer extra-curricular activities that provide real-world job experience. After the first year of study in USA, students may apply for permission to work off campus for up to 20 hours a week. Note, that there is no guarantee that this request will be granted. Another option that appeals to many international students in USA is to broaden their study experience through semester or summer-long study abroad and exchange programs, offered by most universities as well as outside study abroad providers. Following graduation, students on an F-1 visa can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows them to work in their chosen field for 12-24 months after completing their studies. Some companies may even sponsor students for a H1-B Temporary Worker Visa, allowing them to continue living in USA as long as they work for that company. Most USA institutions have a career services department staffed with professionals focused on helping students with their résumé, teaching job interview skills, and helping them find job opportunities.

Contact your IE Abroad Advisor